[ale] Alt+Ctrl+F# blank screens

Gray Frost grayf327 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:39:27 EST 2009

Thanks guys for your responses:

Before we get off track let me recap:  The hardware, all of it,
monitors, graphics cards, comp have always worked well together and
using the nvidia drivers that I am using in the same exact setup.  The
TV was trying to show a VT box because I had swapped the DFP-0 and
DPF-1 in my many attempts to see different scenarios.  And Yes the is
was attempting to display something but couldn't.  That was an easy
fix but it does show that something is trying to work. I destroyed
that xorg.conf because I had tried so many things and rebuilt a new
clean one.

Using singe monitor mode provides the VT sessions just fine and also
in Twin mode with both monitors.  Its just the independent screens
that causes the grief.  This is a new issue since I have always
operated with these two monitors set up as independent screens.  My
problems started with Karmic.  Ps there are other non related issue
with Karmic that i am not so happy about.

After doing hours and hours of research I am convinced that it is a
Ubuntu Karmic issue with the new Grub2.  in the old grup you could set
the vga=XXX for your VT terminals but I have found other posting where
people can not set their VT terminals as you should be able to with
setting gfxpayload=true in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX but it is not working.
I think that there are some bugs that still need to be ironed out.  I
think that with the duel monitors it tries to carry the 1680x1050 (or
the auto) res to the vt terminals which it can't handle in non
graphics mode.  It is supposed to default to 600x480 or what ever you
have in the #GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 setting.

There are others having VT resolution issues I just haven't found a solution.

I am seriously considering going back to 9.04 or any other distro
until this gets resolved.  It is not a killer but not having the
ability to pop in and out of other VT sessions is like  well...close
to running Windows.. Aaaahhhhggg.