[ale] Google's Nexus one revealed

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Dec 26 23:42:35 EST 2009

On 12/25/2009 12:31 PM, krwatson at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> Nexus One full specs revealed, invite-only retail sales
> http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/12/23/nexus-one-full-specs-revealed-invite-only-retail-sales

The specs look nice.  The biggest thing my G1 is lacking is RAM.  The
specs list 192 meg of ram.  The stock kernel loses all but about 95 meg
of that to video ram and the radio.  That doesn't leave a lot of room to
keep apps running in...  There's a kernel patch that steals 10 meg of
video ram back, and that makes things surprisingly more roomy.  Between
that and compcache, the G1 still manages to work surprisingly well.

I would imagine things would be pretty idyllic on the Nexus with its 512
meg of ram, or even the Droid for that matter :).  I really wouldn't
want to give up the nice roomy keyboard of the G1, though.  I use the on
screen keyboard a lot if I only have to type a word or three, but I
wouldn't be happy sshing without a keyboard.

Pat