[ale] OT Linksys primiscuous mode

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Tue Dec 22 11:14:48 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> At low cost of hardware these days (5 port 10/100 switch for on the order of
> $15) and a switches generally being preferred over hubs for performance
> reasons, I expect you are right that a hub will be hard to find. Can you
> tell me why a hub would be preferred over a switch in this situation?

Hubs don't direct traffic, they blindly disperse it, so that when a
packet goes in one port it goes out all the others.  You probably
know that already, but it relates to the situation at hand because
of how it's used.

The OP can plug the uplink into the hub and sniff all the traffic
by plugging into another port on the hub, which is effectively the
result you'd get without the extra hub if you could do port mirroring
on the uplink port.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/