[ale] Karmic failure - missing device - mknod

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Mon Dec 21 12:07:38 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Grady Harris <nolan.voight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Haven't done that before. Is mknod what I should use to create the
> device file? Is there a preferred way?

The udev system should be creating the device node for you.  So
something is probably wrong with the udev configuration.  The kernel
notices a new device, tells userland about the event, the userland udev
daemon gets the event notice and follows the rules in /etc/udev.d (or
whatever) to do something about it.

But yes, to make the device node yourself, you'd use mknod.  It has
a weird syntax that is summarized when you run "mknod --help".  You
need to know the correct major and minor device numbers for your
CDROM device.  They're in sysfs, though, in the "dev" file for your device.

  /sys/block/{devicename}/dev

... with a colon between the major and minor numbers.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/