[ale] sometimes I hate bash

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:43:36 EST 2009

I follow you. Yes, I am running scripts not -exec 'ing external scripts.
cd foo
script -a -c "./bar.sh param1 param2" "$log_file

wash, rinse, repeat...

It really is a difference between how processes are handled between the two
different environment of a regular login and a cron job. I'm rewriting my
logger to be basic bash I/O redirects. I think that will resolve the nasty
looping processes. script is designed to be able to replay process. Tht's
probably not a good thing to have as an automated function :-)

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > script runs all hunky-dorey in userland.
> >
> > so time to put it into cron. To cover my bases for inferior cron
> > environemnt, the first thing the script does is . ~/.bash_profile which
> in
> > turn runs ~/.bash_rc which runs /etc/bashrc
>
> If you are "running" scripts, you're creating new bash processes, but
> if you use exec instead, you'll replace the running process with a new
> one.
>
> ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro ~$ cat /tmp/count-procs
> #! /bin/sh
> ps ax | wc -l
> ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro ~$ cat /tmp/test-run
> /tmp/count-procs
> ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro ~$ sh /tmp/test-run
>      52
> ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro ~$ cat /tmp/test-exec
> exec /tmp/count-procs
> ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro ~$ sh /tmp/test-exec
>      51
> ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro ~$

> > Except somehow it now spawns _2_ copies of the running process and the
> race
> > is on! <insert appropriate swearing here>
>
> Do the above comments seem relevant?  I can't really tell if that's all
> there is to it.
>
> --
>  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
>  http://noserose.net/e/