[ale] sometimes I hate bash

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:23:28 EST 2009

set -x provides to useful insight. Maybe I need to get stronger glasses...

Something that crossed my mind: In the script are multiple sub scripts being
called to do the actual operations. So to facilitate logging I wrapped each
external call using script -a -c "scriptname param1 param2, etc" "$log_file"

This will take the contents of any output from the scripts and dump them to
the log_file. So there is two processes with identical name plus a third for
the actual script itself. I thing the first is the script command itself,
the second is the process that does the IO redirection and the third is the
actual called script running.

I have a very strong suspicion that the screen IO redirect with script is
not compatible with a no stdout cron. script was designed to exactly copy
what is done on a screen session (spaces, tabs and backspaces) so it can
literally be replayed either at the end of pipe or later as a process.

I'm not sure how cron does its IO but if it loops back on itself that would
allow each script process to launch a second run of each process.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

so much for being clever.

Back to the basic 1>>"$log_file" 2>&1

James P. Kinney III