[ale] Freezing machine

RICHARD FOSTER foster7152 at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 13 12:13:38 EST 2009

WP-bit ..good
My PC freezes up, too. When in discontinued activity, being anyone in Gnome and KDE, and doing anything as root, my IBM A21m, SuSE 10 would freeze, which I first remedied by pushing scripts I found to control the non-functioning cpu fan.  The sound only functions in the bulkier win mgrs, and I give ownership of cd/dvd to users, (extraneous.)
The immediate harbinger of freezing is loud hdd click, (or clunk.) I've freed up considerable space, so cpu overheat and diskfull aren't contributing.  I will try replicate when I don't want to do anything.  Can't determine when machine actually shuts down when asked to. Definite correlation between drive noise and freeze.

A guy I never put stock in heretofore and Heinz-heir type object of envy finally said it:
[Dick Cheney declared] "If there's a 1% chance that Pakistani scientists are helping Al Queda build or develop a nucular weapon, we have to treat it as a certainty in terms of our response."
[introduction of climate analog seen through emails]
....We've NEVER (not sic)been here before. We just know two things: one, the CO2 we put in the atmosphere stays there for many years, so it is "irreversible" in real time (barring some feat of geo-engineering); and two, that CO2 buildup has the potential to unleash "catastrophic" warming.
When I see a problem that has even a 1 percent probability of occurring and is "irreversible" and potentially "catastrophic," I buy insurance.
NYTimes fairly used