[ale] email server

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sun Dec 13 11:16:15 EST 2009

On Sun December 13 2009, Michael Trausch wrote:
> The simplest you can do is to get a GAFYD account and use that, which gives
> more than mail and is free.  It would also remove the requirement to have
> your box up all the time and then you don't have to manage the server.

part of my reason for running linux was the eventual WANT, to host my own
email at home.. my box stays up all the time anyway, that's what linux is
FOR, right:)

> Otherwise, the simplest is to just install Postfix and create an MX for the
> domain to point it at the dyndns host that will be handing its mail.  On
> debian/ubuntu that is as easy as installing the postfix package and going
> through the configuration with debconf.

well, I've tried that a few times, just yesterday i tried:
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-ubuntu-9.10
and got all hosed up, so I reinstalled ubuntu, installed exim4, and ran
dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
I THINK everything is where it is supposed to be, and I have evolution setup
for my local user, and I sent myself a test message at
pbc at pauls-server.homelinux.org and if sent, no errors, so maybe all I am
missing now is an MX record? why do I need that, I thoght that was the whole
point of DynDNS forwarding to my IP..

at least the web server works, see http://pauls-server.homelinux.org
why wouldn't email "just work" :)
--