[ale] RedHat open sources virtual desktop tool SPICE

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 10:28:04 EST 2009

These guys never cease to amaze me. They go out and spend cash to buy
Qumranet (
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9114105/Red_Hat_adds_to_virtualization_effort_with_Qumranet_acquisition)
and then make the product freely available:
http://www.spice-space.org/download.html

This is THE tool needed for thin clients!! Basically by running a super slim
flashRAM linux distro on boot up then SPICE starts on top from the server.
It supports streaming video/audio with syncronized audio to video.
http://www.spice-space.org/features.html

Granted _my_ desktop has been 100% Linux since 1997 but this will make large
scale corporate adoption of Linux on the desktop easier to handle. drop on a
client and run the app -> <POOF> instant Linux box!

If it's not running Linux it's not worth having power!

James P. Kinney III