[ale] looking for a truly Linux friendly camcorder

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Dec 8 16:21:31 EST 2009

On 2009, Dec, 08, , at 11:03 AM, Daniel Howard wrote:
> I've had a tough time getting HD videos to play on my wife's Ubuntu
> laptop that are Quicktime's version of H.264 (AVC), something
> proprietary in the container is preventing the usual medibuntu
> repository codecs from working.
>
> I'm looking for a new HD camcorder for her, does anyone know of one
> that
> does not use the Quicktime format, or is proven to be playable/
> editable
> in Linux?
>
> Thanks, Daniel

Forgetting the AVCHD is obscenely proprietary over compressed crap
at the heart of it and decoding is a massively CPU intensive task
that is barely manageable on all but the most overboard systems...

I'd recommend posting he question to the kdEnlive forums.

http://www.kdenlive.org/forum

http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/avchd-playback-and-editing

kdEnlive seem to be the up and coming Linux video editing solution
and I'm getting anxious to scope it out when I can put together an
x86 machine with enough horsepower to work with video (-: "video"
meaning low compression, high quality DV standard def, of course :-).

HTH!
peace
aaron