[ale] detecting Adobe Flash content in static image files

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 13:49:06 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 13:12 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Which makes it really really difficult to script something like:
>
>   find /var/www/images/ -type f -exec file {} \; | egrep -v
> "(GIF|JPEG|PNG) image data"

Perhaps it's too optimistic, but could you use file --mime-type and grep
for something like "(flash|flv)" or are there other impostors you're
looking for as well?

On my ubuntu 9.10 system file seems to correctly identify gif and jpg.
I'm not sure how file orders it's tests -- could make a difference. Or
maybe it's your magic file. Are you doing this on cygwin? And intel arch
(i.e. byte ordering could be tripping it up)? If you want I can send you
my magic files off-list.