[ale] two sata drives fail at the same time?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 13:42:02 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Robert L. Harris
<robert.l.harris at gmail.com>wrote:

> Try a different power source to run the drives in your correct system
> otherwise.  Might be the
> power supply isn't pushing enough juice.  Ran into that once.

I agree with Robert. Sounds more like the PS is bad. Hard drive spin up is a
current hog. Pull power on one drive and see if system moves beyond bios. If
so, replace power supply. If not, swap pulled power connection and retry.
It's possible that there is a single almost bad drive that's sucking all the
power and that won't show up with dual external  enclosures.

Depending on the power supply, there may be only a single 12 or 5 volt rail
feeding board and drives. So a flaky drive will block a boot. It can also be
a flaking board doing the same thing.

Probably a good idea to put both in an external container and do a back up
now before things go really bad.

James P. Kinney III