[ale] network question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 10:33:21 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> "B" is pure evil brilliance.

It's also mostly purely practical. PHB's rarely listen to the technical
justification for more hardware. They even more rarely understand it ujntil
it's translated into financial terms (i.e. this new server stack can deliver
the  400tps we need to support the anticipated sales growth of our online
store  -vs.- This new server stack will simultaneously save us $2k/month in
power and cooling while also allowing an anticipated potential increase in
sales of $500k/mo)

Once it's personal for them, they sign the PO immediately.

Also, always make sure the assistant/office manager person has a seriously
screaming fast machine. Hers (usually female but sometimes male executive
secretary/assistants) needs to be some serious hardware and rock solid
software 'cause she's the one keeping him (PHB in 200x is _still_ usually
male but that is changing) on-track and moving and that requires instant
access to all the information he can't be bothered with (between tee off
times and where the next 3 martini lunch is and which board member hates him
and wants to replace him with the board members wife and who got drunk at
the party and said...).

Practical evil has uses :-)

> On 12/4/09, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If the legacy network is 100M a simple conversion (with hardware
> upgrades)
> > to Gbit will be a worthwhile process.
> >
> > If you currently have 2 networks and each machine is on both and all
> lines
> > converge at the same switch, um, sounds like it's already as packed as it
> > can be. A single network will be simply easier to manage and then you can
> do
> > ethernet bonding and get better through put (usually - if the switch is
> > ancient crap it may choke and do Bad Things tm  to packets).
> >
> > I'm a fan of legacy eviction when there is exactly "no reason" for
> keeping
> > it.
> >
> > Put in a 10Gb switch and nics for your servers and Gbit for your clients.
> > Use the old wires and 100Mb lines for printers and management
> connections.
> >
> > By management I mean pointy haired boss types. The slower their stuff is
> > A: the less damage they can do
> > B: the more upgrades you can justify 'cause they got the fastest stuff
> last
> > time and it's just good enough...
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Geoffrey
> > <lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> >> All I'm told is that it was a legacy thing, no real reason.  Now they're
> >> worried that if they put everything on a single network, it will
> >> saturate the bandwidth on the single network.  No network bandwidth
> >> study has been done, so this is just a guess.

> >> No.

> >> No, considering it though.

> >> Again, there is no reason, pure legacy.

> >> I know, hence the inquiry. ;)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Until later, Geoffrey
> >>
> >> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> >> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
> >>  - Benjamin Franklin
> >>

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> > Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
> >

> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

James P. Kinney III