[ale] rsync issues

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Dec 5 01:11:55 EST 2009

On 12/05/2009 12:41 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 00:31, Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com> wrote:
>> I was trying the -av at first but I decided I would forego the -go part
>> of -a due to the destination being a cifs share.  (sorry I didn't
>> mention that at first)
>
> Well, if rsync thinks that group/owner have changed then it will copy
> over the "changed" file.
>
> man rsync says:
>
>      "For example: if you want to use -a (--archive) but don't want -o
> (--owner), instead of
>       converting -a into -rlptgD, you could specify -a --no-o (or -a
> --no-owner)"

It's worth noting that the order is important here. The --no-* options
must go after the option they would turn off. Thus '-a --no-o' will do
what you expect, but '--no-o -a' won't. Instead, the -a will re-enable -o.

Robert, maybe you can enable rsyncd on the nas? This should definitely
speed things up when only parts of a file have changed. With "local"
storage (which the cifs mount is from rsync's perspective) you'll always
transfer the entire file if rsync thinks it changed.

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Rsync_-_synchronizes_files_and_directories_from_one_location_to_another

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts