[ale] graphing calculator

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Fri Dec 4 23:37:24 EST 2009

Hello drifter,

>... he needs an app (windoze, cough, cough)
> that will allow him to input an algebraic equation and get out a graph in
> a file format (jpg, etc) that he can then import into the Open Office file
> he is creating.

A hearty thank you to him for his service to his country and now his community!

http://www.iconico.com/ultimaCalc/

I'd like to discourage him in the most strong manner to avoid the TI 83/84 calculators even though Texas Excrements have paid massive amounts of moola most school districts the past two decades to ensure the TI-83/84 was the "official" calculator of the school - they have even helped write the text books, tailoring the texts to use only their calculators, of course.  Naturally, they also created training courses for instructors.

The TI-83/84's are twenty years old, and were outdated crap when they were developed.  The Casio calculators were, and still are, completely superior to the TI's and highly intuitive.

HOWEVER, if TI is ultimately required, at least point him to the TI-nspire line.  It is the calculator TI is using to replace the 83/84 line and the non-CAS version even has a replaceable keyboard to 'convert' the TI-nspire to an 83/84 for compatibility with established texts and training courses.  (Ironically, the TI-83/84 is so entrenched, it is possible it will take years for the nspire to catch on.)

One more thing: graphs.  Here is an awesome javascript solution that may interest him or you: http://raphaeljs.com/  and its lite weight sibling: http://g.raphaeljs.com/

Cheers,
Robert~