[ale] graphing calculator

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Fri Dec 4 14:02:24 EST 2009

Sean -

I would try SciLab (http://www.scilab.org/). It has Win and *NIX binaries, CLI and GUI control, graphing output, and can do computation and simulation (including simultaneous differential equations). Also comes with a lot of different pre-built examples. I've used it to model a heavy pedestal under electrodynamic braking, based on the pedestal's equations of state (simultaneous 1st-order l.d.e's).

SciLab's objective was a 'Maple' work-alike with strong simulation and illustration capabilities for automatic controls problems. I don't know if they're ahead or behind that target by now. I think I exported the graphs as EPS somehow, but that was in Linux so the mechanisms would be different in MsWin.

Another option would be iterating a spreadsheet (OpenOffice, naturally), then graphing the results. That would be simpler to explain to the students and they could probably do some for themselves. Depends on the class topics and level.

There are plenty of other candidates, naturally.

 - Mills