[ale] network question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:44:29 EST 2009

If the legacy network is 100M a simple conversion (with hardware upgrades)
to Gbit will be a worthwhile process.

If you currently have 2 networks and each machine is on both and all lines
converge at the same switch, um, sounds like it's already as packed as it
can be. A single network will be simply easier to manage and then you can do
ethernet bonding and get better through put (usually - if the switch is
ancient crap it may choke and do Bad Things tm  to packets).

I'm a fan of legacy eviction when there is exactly "no reason" for keeping
it.

Put in a 10Gb switch and nics for your servers and Gbit for your clients.
Use the old wires and 100Mb lines for printers and management connections.

By management I mean pointy haired boss types. The slower their stuff is
A: the less damage they can do
B: the more upgrades you can justify 'cause they got the fastest stuff last
time and it's just good enough...

:-)

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>wrote:

> scott wrote:
> > it all depends.  what are the two networks for?
>
> All I'm told is that it was a legacy thing, no real reason.  Now they're
> worried that if they put everything on a single network, it will
> saturate the bandwidth on the single network.  No network bandwidth
> study has been done, so this is just a guess.
>
> > do you do vlan tagging?
>
> No.
>
> > how about etherbonding (like LACP)?
>
> No, considering it though.
>
> > are the two networks separate for a reason?
>
> Again, there is no reason, pure legacy.
>
> > Answers to each of these questions will bring
> > more questons and so forth until we can then answer the questions.
> > This is not a simple question.
>
> I know, hence the inquiry. ;)
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III