[ale] Disappointed in the recent climate research hack

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Wed Dec 2 08:50:04 EST 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> As far as I can tell the only consensus in the field is that CO2 and
> methane are "greenhouse gasses" and that an accumulation of them will
> cause a change in global average temperature. What is under hot debate,
> often with political and economic overtones and undercurrents, is how
> much change and how fast. It is well understood from analysis of Venus
> that a high CO2 atmosphere will act like a thermal blanket.

Seems obvious, but is it? I don't know. And that's the best way to
approach science. I am concerned with some of the lockstep behavior in
all of this; I *think* maybe we have started to affect things- goodness
knows we don't get weather like we used to in Athens, but that could
just be part of a cycle. There's just not enough data...

> Professor Lindzen is a very reasonable voice of opposition in some of
> the conclusions presented by committees of climate science paper
> reviewers.

And we need more voices like his...

> He also is an opponent of  linking smoking to lung cancer
> (he's a smoker).

...except for the fact that he's a gold-plated idiot. Sheesh. You want
to be an idiot, that's fine*, but please don't muddy the waters for
people who aren't smart enough to know better. Correlation is causation
here. Not everybody who gets lung cancer smokes- but it's a 4:1 ratio.

*not near me, please.