[ale] Anyone have experience hosting email for multiple domains?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:01:38 EDT 2009

webmin and virtualmin are your friends. Yes, they are a gooeyfied
system. But they work together excellently to make all the gazillion
config file tweaks to make multiple domains works (web, email, dns,
etc). Just make sure you have the httpd-suexec package loaded. That
way the users will be the process owners in their domain hosting. That
will stop cross-domain security issue within the same system.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Richard Bronosky<Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Matt Rideout<mrideout at windserve.com> wrote:
>> Postfix and Dovecot are both good choices. In the past, I've setup
>> Postfix and Dovecot using the docs on their sites. Glancing over the
>> CentOS doc, it looks like it'll at least get you moving in the right
>> direction. IMO, there's no need to bother with virtual users until you
>> have a vanilla setup functional, and are comfortable with it. Once you
>> have that going, dig into Virtual Users. A few random pointers:
>>
>> 1. yum is your friend.
>> 2. Don't be tempted to stray towards sendmail unless you have a very
>> good reasons. It's a PITA.
>> 3. Make sure that sendmail is fully shutdown, and disabled before you
>> try to get Postfix working.
>> 4. Test to make sure you don't have an open relay going each time you
>> make a configuration change.
>> 5. Make sure that you have reverse DNS properly setup for your mail
>> server's IP.
>> 6. Make sure that your mail server's IP isn't on any major blacklists
>> before going live.
>>

> Lot's of good stuff here, thanks. Unfortunately I have to have to
> virtual domains/users working and working right. It is replacing an
> existing setup that I have set up in cpanel with another hosting
> company. I have to get it set up right and fast.
>
> How do I do #4?
> I have concerns about #5 too. Since I will have 8 domains, and cand
> have only 1 PTR record... I have to figure that out.
>
> --
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

James P. Kinney III