[ale] NFS over wireless

William Witt william at witt-family.net
Sun Aug 30 22:00:30 EDT 2009

The setup:
I have an old laptop(+ a 500GB hd) acting as an NFS file server and uPnP
media server for my xbox360 connected via CAT5 and running
ubuntu-server.  I have two machines (mine and my wifes) plus the xbox
connected wirelessly.  My wife machine runs linuxMint and mine is
currently running Fedora 11.

The problem:
When either of us is copying large files (typically 1-2 GB movies) to
the file server, my wife's desktop and any nautilus windows will freeze
and sometimes crash.  I know it has to do with the NFS server because
when this happens "dmesg | tail" yeilds:

[ 2109.988015] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2111.488016] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2112.988020] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2114.488016] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2115.988014] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2117.488015] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2118.988020] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2120.488016] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2121.988023] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out
[ 2164.731019] nfs: server smeagol not responding, timed out

There is still enough available bandwidth on the wireless connection to
surf the web and do email.  And on her machine, everything but nautilus
works fine as long as there are no gnome file dialogs involved.  My
machine doesn't even hiccup, except for taking a long time to do an ls
on the nfs mount point.  I did see the same problem on my machine under
linuxMint and Ubuntu, but not under Suse or Fedora.

The Question:
My wife is opposed to me doing much to her machine that will impact her
work flow, so putting her on Suse or Fedora is out of the question.  I
don't own the house or I'd just run cat5 to her box.  Is there a better
way to tune NFS over wireless networks that will eliminate this problem
on ubuntu based boxen?  Am I baking up the wrong tree with NFS over
wireless in the first place?  If so, what should I be using?

On a side note, there seems to be something in our flooring that causes
A LOT of loos between the second and first floor.  I wonder if there is
some sort of anti static conductive coating on the laminate flooring
that the owners put down.

Will