[ale] Know anybody who knows macs, hd, etc. in NC Triangle?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Sat Aug 29 11:35:39 EDT 2009

You know the slogan about the problem with making a computer idiot
proof, how you make better idiots? Yeah...

In spite of my best efforts, my cousin may or may not have backed up her
mac with time machine. (How much more PAINLESS can you make backup? Plug
it in, say yes, that's it... anyways...)

Her mac was booting to a white screen. There doesn't appear to be a
click-o-death situation here. The mac geniuses repaired it, and said it
was the hd. Fair enough.

Being as how it wasn't click of death, does anybody know somebody in the
research triangle area of NC who you would trust to use a recovery tool
on an external drive? The computer's about 9 months old, so my gut is
that the HD just corrupted some boot areas, but not the data...

Or, any advice about mac hd recovery would be welcome. If it's not COD
on a mac hd, is it endangering it more to try this afore resorting to
the $3000 recovery people?

Sigh,
David