[ale] Home fiber network?

Scott Denlinger scott at scottdenlinger.com
Fri Aug 28 18:01:24 EDT 2009

Thanks everyone, for your input. My primary application for my wired network
will be for streaming video and audio, for my pipe-dream media server, and I'm especially concerned that I'll
have plenty of capacity to stream any HD video formats which may come down the
road in the next several years. If 10GBase-T can handle that, I suspect that
cat. 6a copper will ultimately be cheaper, at least in a 10-year window. The
consensus does seem to be running copper instead of fiber.

Pulling will not be an issue. It's a single story bungalow, and I have a great
crawl space to work in with access to all areas of the house. And, as Jim Kinney
points out, cat. 6 cable will make a great pulling cord down the road. :)

Thanks again for all your collective wisdom. As for bandwidth to the house, Jim,
you're better off in the ATL area, trust me. You don't wanna know ...

Scott Denlinger