[ale] USB to serial adapter

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Wed Aug 26 12:08:44 EDT 2009

James Taylor wrote:
> I need to get my hands on a USB to serial adapter.
> Does anyone where I can get one, preferably cheap to free?
> -jt

What everybody else said about quality. I have no idea about linux, but
if you need anything mildly unusual to make it work- and a graphics
tablet may not be- quality costs on windows. The device was one thing;
the driver, and concomitant ability to change flow, parity, and all
those other serial things that i've forgotten, thank goodness!, is
another. The bargain basement one worked with gps; did not with an activ
board. Perhaps it was the driver, perhaps it wasn't, but you couldn't
change more than a smattering of things with it.
The more expensive one did have a nice range of choices.