[ale] Retentive DVD ripping copying?

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:46:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM, david w. millians <millia at panix.com> wrote:

> But the question is: how best to retentively copy those dvds? I want all
> the features; I don't want to save space; I want all the languages and
> audio options and what not. Can one just copy the files over, and the
> players will handle the decss'ing on their own, like VLC does? Or do I
> *have* to do the handbrake ripping type thing anyway to make them usable?

 If you're going to be using XBMC, which you should be if you're using a
hacked xbox, then you should take a look at the wikipedia page [0]. So, what
you are going to want to do is burn an iso image of the dvd and then you can
stream it without a problem. I don't think you'll want to copy it over to
the xbox due to the FAT32 file size limitation and the xbox hd not being
that big.

I've been using k9copy to rip my dvds to avi. It provides a wide range of
codecs to use, although the interface is a little clunky and its a PITA if
the dvd has multiple "title" sections. I'll have to give handbrake a look.

-Steve

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC#Video_playback_in_detail