[ale] New M$oft Word file format

drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Aug 25 10:54:31 EDT 2009

After I calmed down, further testing revealed that OO can deal with the
format, but only if the attached file is copied to the desktop.  If I click
on the attachment itself while it is still within the email (using KDE and
Kmail), the entire session crashes, not just the app. I don't have that
problem with PDFs.

I think part of the underlying problem is that within the Mac and Windoze
worlds, the default application for any text is Word. I can't remember the
last time I received a plain Jane text file from either camp.  It is as if
these good folk have no clue whatsoever that simple text documents are
easier and quicker to create (and a lot smaller) with a text editor. Most
have no idea where such a program can be found on their computers, or even
if one exists.

Sean