[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 19, Issue 68

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Aug 25 09:59:12 EDT 2009

Thanks for the reply.   See below.

> Message: 4
> From: Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Uverse in general and with linux server?

> I've only seen them block port 25.  You can only run 4 tvs
> simultaneously and only 2 of them can be HD.  The argument is that how
> often do you have more than 2 or 4 tvs on simultaneously?

Yeah, considering that we don't watch much TV, have a perfectly good
broadcast signal coming
from the antenna in the attic for free, and intend to cancel the TV part
during the first, month,
not much of an issue.

Now, do they block port 25 completely, or just to anywhere but their own
SMTP servers?  Is this
just a matter of configuring Evolution to send through their servers?
And do they allow inbound
SMTP on port 25 to my postfix server?

> The other Internet issue I had with them is that their equipment is
> very unhappy with multiple routers on the network, caused me some
> initial grief when we swithched.

Could you elaborate on that?  I'll need to stick a Multitech VPN router
in between their device and
my local network.    So long as they will give it the fixed IP address
it would seem to be ok.   I've done
a little testing with the new DSL circuit and the Motorola seems to be
willing to share its WAN address
with a single device.

Neal