[ale] GP2X

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Aug 24 00:43:46 EDT 2009

Chuck Payne wrote:
> I love because I can still play DOOM, Heretic, Quake,  MAME, and
> several Emu on it. You can also use this until as an e-book reader,
> Media Player (OGG, AVI, MP3, MPEG), and Photo Playter. You can hook it
> to a TV, it does support NTSC out.

I've been terribly interesting in seeing how well this cheap little guy
works:

It has 4 gig of internal storage plus a mini sd slot.  It seems to at
least play NES, SNES, and assorted other games.  It looks like it should
also be able to play mpeg4 videos and would probably be a pretty
serviceable mp3 player.

My phone old Treo 650 already does the latter two well enough and it has
enough cheesy games to keep me occupied when I'm stuck somewhere, so I
don't really have a use for it.

If our nephew were 2-3 years older I would most definitely buy one for
him to see how well it works.  I know it isn't open source like the
gp2x, but its cheap :).

I have ordered a few things from this website before...  Some adapters,
magnets, a 3-4 dollar Wii component cable (works great for 480p :p)...
IIRC, they ship (slowly, but cheaply) from Hong Kong, so your stuff is
in transit quite a while.

Pat