[ale] 16 Gigs of RAM and still swapping!

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Aug 21 17:30:46 EDT 2009

If they're doing some special algorithms I wonder if it might not be
worthwhile to reduce the Oracle SGA to free up some memory for this
other process?

Of course you can't do that without bouncing Oracle so it won't help
your current process but might be something to keep in mind in future.
DBAs have a tendency to want to set SGA to something larger than
physical memory just to see if they can't squeeze out more than you told
them was possible.  (The answer is they can't but it doesn't keep them
from trying.)