[ale] [ANNC] ALE CENTRAL MTG for Thursday, August 20, 2009

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Aug 12 20:08:02 EDT 2009

On 2009, Aug, 12, , at 1:20 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I'm also a SUSE user and I'm glad to see the politics of the distro
> did not prevent this topic from being covered.

As noted in the synopsis (which I assisted in writing), SUSE is
still an important GNU Linux distro and their development team is
still a source of positive contributions to the OSS community, as
brought to our attention by things like the OpenSUSE Build Service
(OBS) that you kindly demonstrated for the group in April.

In fact, it's been a bit of a Novell love fest with ALE meeting
topics this year, since last month we also covered Novell
Goupwise.

With a new regional ambassador, seemed only fair to offer our
Open public forum for an Open update on the state of OpenSUSE.

(-: However, everyone here should be warned that Mafia$oft has
gotten wind of the talk, so we expect they will be busing in a
rabid, screaming pack of intentionally misinformed and enraged
outside agitators to disrupt the proceedings and ensure that
no meaningful facts are disseminated and no civil dialog takes
place -- pretty much the norm for trying to hold public forums
in today's world of corporate thugs and hate propaganda. :-)

> I'm curious,  I got accepted as a "SUSE team member" a few weeks
> ago. Any others on the list?

Not that I'm aware of, but it will be interesting to see if there
are still other SUSE fans in the group.  I think it was a fair
assessment to refer to SUSE as the "Disavowed Distro", since that
seems the general community attitude towards Novell / SUSE of late.
And while I won't directly advocate or promote them,  I am not
above wearing their logos on the real nice golf shirt that was
part of James Taylor's Groupwise SWAG give away last month. :-)

peace
aaron

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM, aaron<aaron at pd.org> wrote:
>> Please join us for the next monthly ALE Central Meeting
>> at 7:30pm, Emory Law School, Gambrel Hall, rm 1C,
>> on Thursday, Aug. 20th, 2009. The featured presentation
>>  will be:
>>
>> “Open SUSE: The State of the Disavowed Distro”
>> with Chuck Payne, Atlanta regional OpenSUSE Ambassador
>> ==
>>
>> Synopsis:
>> – Despite extensive concerns and criticisms from the Free Software
>> community regarding SUSE’s partnership deals with Novel and the
>> dangerous precedents of their concessions to the extortionist FUD
>> campaigns of MicroSoft, the OpenSUSE project has continued to be
>> an important contributing developer in the global GNU Linux and
>> Open Source arenas. SUSE’s recently appointed volunteer ambassador
>> for our region, Chuck Payne, will bring us up to date on the features
>> and strengths of current OpenSUSE 11.1 offering and talk about
>> enhancements scheduled for the pending 11.2 release.

[scissors of brevity]