[ale] beware warranties on refurbished/reconditioned computers

Thu Aug 6 13:03:59 EDT 2009

No, you are not the problem here. Think about what a BIOS is and what
it does. There is no reason for you to have to be careful not to
destroy your BIOS. In 25 years of computing I have never lost a BIOS.
I have flashed them for vanity (messages or images on boot up) or
because I wanted to use memory it wasn't intended to use, but never
because they needed disaster recovery. This is a hardware flaw.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Brian MacLeod<nym.bnm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have you noticed a pattern that might suggest if the BIOS gets
>> effected at the point of [a] needing a hard power down, [b] doing a
>> hard power down, or [c] rebooting after a hard power down. If it is
>> "case a" then you can't avoid it. If it is b or c, you can by
>> remembering to remove USB devices.
>

> The pattern appears to be I get the machine hung up while running while I
> happen to have a USB drive inserted (Windows or Linux, unfortunately), I
> force power it down, and then forget to remove the USB before booting up.
> If I do normal power downs/reboots, doesn't seem to happen, regardless of
> USB state.  In other words, my laziness is causing my familiarity.
>
> Now, that seems to indicate maybe something else in the machine is at fault,
> but everytime this happens (that i can remember), I am often doing something
> a bit funky like repartitioning the USB drive/hard drive so I can enable
> additional boot options.  I know how I am, so I'll blame the user first here
> before blaming the tool.
>

> ---
> Ad killing Signature:
> I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
> messy bloodbath.

.!# RichardBronosky #!.