[ale] Switch redundancy and physical network layout lameness

Chris Kleeschulte chris.kleeschulte at it.libertydistribution.com
Wed Aug 5 10:57:12 EDT 2009

I am trying to get a handle on our company's physical network.

The problem I am running into is automatic switch redundancy. I have
CARP for my pfsense boxes, but the physical network at this company is
sort of a mess. We have switches that feed one cable out to a node
where there is a small feeder switch that can branch 2-16 more times.
I guess the company just did not want to go to expense of running a
bundle of wires out.

Before I hang my head in absolute shame over this, has anyone overcome
this? Most of the problem is just growth. They ran 'n' cables in the
beginning without thinking about printers and other potential IP nodes
that may be used in the future.

So the result pretty much looks like this, main switch -> small
netgear 8 port switch -> accountant's computer, his printer, his
assistant's computer, her printer.

We tried wireless and this works most of the time, but the building we
are in seems to be grand central station for 11000 WAPs and they
compete a lot with each other.

Is this complete bush league or is this something that you have dealt
with on the IT management side? I also just can't figure out a cost
effective way to make this scheme fault tolerant. Any suggestions
would be....excellent.

Chris