[ale] Rsync and renaming files

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:12:50 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I have a rather large project that is being kept in sync on two different servers via rsync. I would like to rename several files and directories, however I think rsync will simply delete the re-named files on the remote server and copy them over again. The filesizes are large enough (or rather the bandwidth low enough) that I really don't want this to happen.

So I have two questions:

1) Is there a way for rsync to handle re-named files and directories in a smart way? ie without removing them?

2) Is there a way I can automatically turn an interactive bash session into a script, or provide some way to play it back (and execute it while playing back)? For example, I open a terminal, and 'mv' a bunch of files, grab the script that results, and send it to the remote server so that it can also be run on there?

I don't have ssh access to the remote server, as it's actually rsync-ing from me. So I need to be able to send a script to the admin on the remote server.

Ideas?

Andrew