[ale] MythTV InstallFest

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 17:46:17 EDT 2009

No. I just prefer Arch for some situations. In the case of my MythTV
box, I wanted to use a distribution that started off lightweight and
would be easy to maintain. Arch does not install any frivolous
packages, and the daemon configuration system is awesome[1]. These are
probably two of the big reasons that KnoppMyth is going to migrate to
Arch.

There are only two things that I would say is "wrong" with my decision
to use Arch:

1) Arch can update a little too quickly for such a system. If you
don't keep the system up-to-date, then the next time you do a `pacman
-Syu` you could be in for a real headache.

2) I've had to build my own repository for MythTV packages. I built my
system right after MythTV 0.21 was released. The official Arch
repository was still on 0.20, and I wanted some features from 0.21.
What is further disappointing is that the maintainer for the Arch
MythTV packages doesn't seem to actually use them. He just built new
ones, and when the compiled cleanly, released them. There were some
significant changes between 0.20 and 0.21. As a result, I am positive
the MythTV packages in the Arch repository don't work correctly (based
on my reading of the PKGBUILD files).

I don't mind point 1) so much. I am quite capable of dealing with it.
It's point 2) that disappoints me. I don't _enjoy_ building all of
those packages. But I do like using Arch.

[1] -- http://tinyurl.com/hbksh

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/