[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 15, Issue 89

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Wed Apr 29 09:51:56 EDT 2009

> On Tue April 28 2009, Robert Reese~ wrote:
>> OTOH, you really don't have to pay anything.  The Outlook support
>> is not open source, but the rest of it is:
>> http://www.zarafa.com/download-community/
>> <http://www.zarafa.com/download-community/>
>>
>> It is licensed under the AGPL v3:
>> http://www.zarafa.com/content/affero-gplv3/
>> <http://www.zarafa.com/content/affero-gplv3/>
>>
>> However, it is still free for up to three Outlook users; I think
>> you'd find that many people would be satisfied with the webmail
>> version of Outlook.
>>

> I did not read the fine print.. I didn't see where part of it was
> free.. but I don't use webmail as a rule, yahoo & gmail accounts
> for me are in kontact.. thanks for the clarification!

The reason you missed it is they have done an excellent job of obfuscating it.
Unlike Zarafa, most other FOSS makes it pretty easy and clear to find the source
code which is what you are accustomed to seeing.

As far as webmail goes, I prefer an email client myself.  But the average Joe
User is tired of the lost emails, the crashes, the viruses, the spam, and so
forth.  Plus, one of the best reasons for Joe User to use webmail is that Joe
User barely knows what a backup is much less how to do one.  (Forget about
defragging!)  A server should be doing backups automatically, preferably once
per day or more often if possible.  That reliability in the case of impending
doom is a great reason to rely on webmail for Joe User and his company.

Cheers,
Robert~