[ale] Wireshark newbie-Q: Promiscous capture

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 28 20:56:39 EDT 2009

All -

Thanks for the comments. I actually have two consumer-grade Ethernet
junctions: one (Fry's no-name) calls itself a switch, the other (Netgear)
calls itself a hub. I think I tried all the configurations, but maybe not.
I'll have another run at it.

Screening with 'tcpdump' to see what traffic is visible at the port is an
excellent idea. Then I would know if the problem is filtering or topology.

I many come back with more questions.

  - Mills