[ale] What Do You Think About Cable vs DSL Now-a-Days?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Apr 24 15:56:27 EDT 2009

One reason you might find some variety in the answers is that MY DSL may
not be the same as YOUR DSL, unless you happen to live next to me.
Distance from the CO factors into transmission speeds.   I live close to
Stone Mountain, and am serviced out of the Snellville CO, so my
bandwidth is about as lousy as DSL gets.    One of my subcontractors
lives in Ellenwood, apparently much closer, and gets much better
bandwidth.     I use Bellsouth/AT&T resold by Dragon Networks, he uses
straight Bellsouth.     Apparently it takes a certain degree of
engineering research for AT&T to tell you how well your location will
work.   Although you could just check with your neighbor if they have
it.

Aside from slow, I've found it to be quite stable.   I'm running vi over
ssh to clients all day and it's fine.    However, it's NOT adequate to
retain reliable connections with Yugma or Logmein, for more than 5
minutes at a time.  rats.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
Lilburn