[ale] Record audio when there is audio

Fri Apr 24 10:52:17 EDT 2009

Seems to me that the same concept used to use your sound card as an
oscilloscope could be used to monitor it for real sound.
http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+sound+oscilloscope I don't have
to time to learn how to get meaningful readings from the device, but I
think this may give you a start. I also thought about monitoring the
input through a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
filter, buffering to RAM, then truncating every few seconds that don't
yield any amplitude.

Please keep us up to date with what you find.

Oh, one more thing... projects like ZoneMinder that monitor security
cameras and record on activity (motion), may have a concept for audio
also.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Chris Fowler wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 18:39 -0400, Jerald Sheets wrote:
>>> knowing you like I do, I'm going to ask for elaboration on the "when
>>> there's audio to record" part.  :)
>>>

>> I want to record the audio from the ARC repeater.  This repeater is
>> quiet most of the day so I don't want to waste disk space.  Some issues
>> have been reported and I want to try and find them but can't listen 24x7
>> because I work and sleep.
>
> In other words:
>
> if (something to record) {
>        record it
> }
>
> Where 'something to record' is a blocking process that is smart enough
> to watch the device and know when there is something to record,
> instantaneously.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

.!# RichardBronosky #!.