[ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Apr 20 21:45:47 EDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> 1. Who is your phone provider?
> 2. Absolutely not. Voice traffic is compressed in such a way that you
> would never want to try to use a modem over it.

Depending on model of phone, and compression method/ratio in the cell you
are in at the time, it works. Heck, I can get it to work in places
you would be suprised a cell phone works at all.

A lot of (higher end) older cell phones had a modem you could attach to
via serial cable (and then later, USB) that actually took "at" commands and would
connect to wherever you called. Often the connections were poor.. 9600
baud was common.. but they worked.

Turn off loading graphics and javascript, and web browse like it's 1994. :)

But then, I'm the kind of crazy person that just shipped a couple of
ancient livingston Portmasters and analog modem racks...