[ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Apr 20 20:15:58 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 18:50 -0400, ale-request at ale.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:43:49 -0400
> From: "Mills John M-NPHW64" <Jmills at motorola.com>
> Subject: [ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections
> To: <ale at ale.org>
>
> ALErs -
>
> 1. Is there a HOWTO on this that can suggest specs and models of low-end phones for net access from my Linux laptop?
>
> 2. If my phone account doesn't provide a direct net connection of some kind, is it practical to telephone my ISP's dial-in modems and run that way?
>
> Some notes make it look just like setting up PPP through a modem and others seem more like a network link. I have a couple of half-*ssed ideas about what's going on, but nothing solid.
>
> Thanks.
>
>  - Mills

The simplest answer - cruise over to someplace like 3GStore and buy an
appropriate router, like a Cradlepoint CDR-350 or others.  Then you have
a little box the size of a couple of diskettes which will act as a
wireless NAT router and talk to a whole slew of phones and USB data
cards.   The vendor has a big list and 3GStore will help with setup,
although I don't recall that there was any with Verizon and a Razr.
Done.    Way simpler than getting phone to work, and you can share the
connection with Mac or Windows as well.   You can also make the jump
from tethered phone to data card without drama.    And you get an NAT
router/firewall to boot.