[ale] there's Risk and there's Stupid

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Apr 20 15:26:56 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 12:07 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Sean <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:
> > Question:
> >
> > We now live in a condo development and all the utilities are buried,
> > specifically, phone, power, and cable. The nearest overhead, exposed
> > utility line is more than 100 meters away. Does this fact in any
> > meaningful way lessen my risk of having a large surge take out
> > unprotected electronics (tvs, tuners, etc.) and protected ones for that
> > matter? I know that really LARGE surges can blow right past a good UPC/
> > surge protector.

> Lightning can still hit the "green box" above ground and cook power
> stuff. But underground is less susceptible to surges.

> fiber-seeking back-hoe is a different problem...

	Standing joke in the business.

	Latest deep woods survival tool:  A loop of fiber optic cable.  If you
get lost deep in the woods, you just dig a shallow trench, lay out the
fiber optic cable and bury it with a little dirt.  Then hitch a ride
back to civilization on the backhoe that comes along to dig there.

> > Just curious. The thought occurred last night while watching a piece of the
> > Hawks playoff game and having the signal interrupted by "severe weather"
> > warnings several times. (It was a blowout so I went to bed.) :)
> >
> > Sean

	Mike