[ale] there's Risk and there's Stupid

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon Apr 20 11:05:59 EDT 2009

Question:

We now live in a condo development and all the utilities are buried,
specifically, phone, power, and cable. The nearest overhead, exposed
utility line is more than 100 meters away. Does this fact in any
meaningful way lessen my risk of having a large surge take out
unprotected electronics (tvs, tuners, etc.) and protected ones for that
matter? I know that really LARGE surges can blow right past a good UPC/
surge protector.

Just curious. The thought occurred last night while watching a piece of the
Hawks playoff game and having the signal interrupted by "severe weather"
warnings several times. (It was a blowout so I went to bed.) :)

Sean