[ale] HOW2 choose an organizer/phone ?

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:26:59 EDT 2009

I feel I need to chime in on this too, being an iPhone user.  Jerald has
some excellent points, but I chose, and like using the iPhone for some other
reasons.  I've use the G1 a bit, and it's got some cool features, but it
lacks the polish of iPhone.
One of the things missing from your list of criteria: Monthly Data Cost
The iPhone 3G is $10 less per month for an all you an eat data plan than a
BlackBerry

I moved from a Palm device to the iPhone, and from a planner/organizer
perspective, the iPhone so much better, I can't even draw an accurate
analogy.  I use a mac with the iPhone, which I think makes it a little
better.  Some of the things I like from a planner perspective, 2 alerts, I
can have the iPhone tell me an hour and also 15 minutes before a meeting, or
the day before and an hour before an appointment.  As an added bonus, iCal
on the mac also alerts at these times.  While the iPhone doesn't have a
to-do list, there are free apps for that in the app store.

I have an iPhone1, my wife an iPhone 3G, since we sync them on the same Mac,
our calendars sync too, so we know what's on each other's schedules.  My
wife went from a Treo 650 to a BlackBerry Pearl to the iPhone3G.  She told
me, after a week with her iPhone, "You told me your phone was nice, but had
I known it was THIS nice I would have ditched my BlackBerry last year!"
 Granted, she's generally non-technical, but now is another dedicated member
of the iPhone tribe.

I would wait to see what Apple comes out with this summer if you want the
latest and greatest, though you'll have hours to wait in lines, the iPhone3G
is a solid platform and will get the touchOS3 update.

-Scott