[ale] Linux apparently illegal in MA

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 00:47:24 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 00:23, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
> During its March 30th search, police seized (among other things) the student's
> computers, storage drives, cell phone, iPod Touch, flash drives, digital camera,
> and Ubuntu Linux CD. None of these items have been returned. His personal
> documents and information are in the hands of the state police, which continue
> to examine them without probable cause, searching for evidence to support
> unsupportable criminal allegations.

Clearly he had enough sh!t to know how to do the effort defined in the
allegation.  The fact that he fixes computers (even ones suggested to
be Linux) suggest that he knows more than the average joe (or jane).
So he would be in my top ten list of suspects.

> And yes, these are the same f*cking moronic idiots that arrested two guys for
> putting up LED cartoon characters.

Were you paying attention back then?  It was perceived as a bomb
threat in a post-9/11 world.  Granted these days it would probably go
unnoticed, but back then it was touch-n-go....and not just in Boston
(a city that lost two originating planes that hit and destroyed the
twin towers...unless you are one of those loonies that believes it was
an inside job.....).  Also note: that the "two guys" associated with
the LED cartoon characters months later "showed much more remorse,
acknowledged their roles, and apologized" according to the URL that
you posted.

Back to Maybe-We-Need-Another-Tea-Party.. we do, but not for a BC
student, but rather for the original reason that tea was thrown into
Boston Harbor.

-Jim P.