[ale] OBS howto for your first project

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Fri Apr 17 14:11:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:30:07 -0400
Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> At least for now you still have to know how to package.  The build
> service just keeps you from having to have your own farm of different
> distros.  It also will build all the various versions automatically
> each time you update a file.

Ahh.  Well, someone will have to probably come along and RPM-ize my
stuff later when it is ready, then, or I'll have to spend a lot of time
reading or something.  I only know how to work with Debian packages at
present; I think that the Debian system for building packages is
(mostly) intuitive, though I think it could be better...

> If you look at my open2300 project you'll see about 6 files I think:
>
> ....tar.gz     tarball like you're used to
> ....dsc        simple debian description file
> debian.control   simple debian control file
> debian.changlog simple changelog file
> debian.rules     this is the complex file that really controls a
> debian build
>
> ...spec   the single control file for rpm based builds
>
> For my simple project, a single set of 4 debian control files allowed
> debs to be built for all the obs supported deb environments.

So those files are in the root, or do you put them in the debian/
directory like you would in a Debian source package?

> Alternatively, my spec file is working for "most" of the rpm based
> environments.  The exception for now is the 64-bit version of fedora
> requires an extra flag that I have not tried to set yet.

Would that be that silly -fPIC?

> I have only really looked in any detail at the spec file for building
> rpms.  It allows if / then logic.  Thus if you need a slightly
> different setup for a fedora build than for a opensuse build, you
> still have a single spec file, but it contains logic to do slightly
> different things on different distros.

I am guessing that it doesn't use a simple Makefile like Debian's
"rules" does, then?  Is it a DSL or shell type thing or something?

	--- Mike

--
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be a
boss and work twelve hours a day.