[ale] Headless, Consoleless, DVDless, NetInstall? was: Fedora NetInstall via USB Drive

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:29:45 EDT 2009

You want to look at grub kickstart:
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/

This let's you take an existing unsatisfactory install, edit some
stuff in grub.conf, add some boot up stuff and reboot and go to a vnc
installer connecting to your image server of choice to do a new
installation.

Note: this is NOT a trivial thing. Mistakes create a dead box that
must be reimaged so make it work first on a machine you can reboot
yourself :-)

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm pretty impressed with the level of expertise I've seen. I
> figure I might as well try this pipe dream out on y'all.
>
> I have a bunch of servers hosted with Peer1 "Managed*" Hosting. They
> do not give console access, so installing my own OS, setting up LVM,
> etc. requires that I pay them to do it for me. Once I have them
> install said OS, I have full control over it, but only via SSH - no
> console. It sounds to me like, as I add servers I ought to be able to
> take their bulky default LAMP stack they give for free. Drop a few
> things in carefully chosen places. Reboot. Ideally, I'd like the
> install process to start sshd very early so that I can handle
> exceptions or install interactively. I [loosely] understand the
> kickstart concept, but since this is a server that I have no physical
> access to, I'd like SSH access early.
>
> Is this doable?
>
> * Managed = They try to reboot my server whenever they don't
> understand what I'm doing (Xen) with it.
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

James P. Kinney III