[ale] Basic Laptop for presentations question

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:11:13 EDT 2009

Comments in-line

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it was a T60. I know that is was Intel everything
> (cpu, video, wireless). My issues (from memory of early 2007)
> included:
>  hibernate/suspend

This has traditionally been an issue with linux laptops, though RHEL 5
(CentOS 5), this issue got some attention from some developers at Red Hat.
 Because it's been an issue for so long, I just turned these features off in
the bios, so that when the lid closes, the machine still runs.  I know that
there are some settings around this that you can customize in GNOME power
management...

 power management/battery life

I never had a problem with this, but didn't suspend/hibernate either.

>  dual head without reboot [1] [2]
>  finger print scanner

You can get the pam library called bioapi which you can configure your
fingerprint reader, or you can use another library called thinkfinger.  I
used bioapi because it also supported a text login, vs thinkfinger which
only worked for console logins or su's in X.

>  extra/media keys

Never had a problem with this.

>  video playback weirdness after getting dual head to work

Turns out with the intel graphics card shares system memory for graphics
memory.  I used to have a lot of problems with video playback as well,
generally with totem (the included media player).  If you go into your
xorg.conf and add more ram (I upped mine to a rediculous 120MB) the problem
would go away.  I think the default setting for memory in the xorg.conf is
something like 16MB.