[ale] Basic Laptop for presentations question

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 11:48:17 EDT 2009

Geoffrey,
I see your problem.  To get the best desktop experience from RH, you really
do need to use GNOME.  It could be that they've added network-manager-applet
to also work in KDE, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was GNOME only.
 Also, if you're not using any kind of interactive app, and your network is
WPA encrypted, that could be a problem.  The network-script file for your
interface supports WEP encryption being specified with the KEY setting, but
I don't know the wpa-supplicant magic for sending the authentication
password data via a script or commandline.

If your wireless network is encrypted and you're not providing any
authentication information, that would also explain the issue.  I've seen
this behavior before when I've forgotten to put the WEP key in my
network-script or if it's been changed on the access point and I've not
updated my settings.

-Scott