[ale] ALE CENTRAL MTG for Thursday, April 16, 2009

arxion arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:43:25 EDT 2009

On 2009, Apr, 14, , at 8:12 AM, Trey Sizemore wrote:

> On Mon Apr 13, 2009 04:40PM, Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
>> Our ALE Central Meeting on Thursday, Aprl 16, 2009,
>> 7:30pm,  at Emory Law School (Gambrell Hall Room 1C)
>> will feature two topical presentations:
>>
>> ==========
>> A Demo of the Opensuse Build Service (OBS)
>>   with Greg Freemyer
>>
>> -- plus --
>>
>> A Look at the Current ALE "OSPREX" Deck
>>   with Stephen R. Blevins
>
> <snip>
>
> I would be interested in having the option to attend these remotely
> when I can't make the meetings physically (perhaps others would too?).
>
> We could leverage technologies like DimDim[1] and Skype[2] to have
> people join and participate remotely.
>
> Is there any interest in doing this beyond me?
>
>   1. http://www.Dimdim.com/
>   2. http://www.skype.com
> --
> Cheers,
> Trey
> ----

This idea may be worth revisiting given the progress in platform
agnostic web meeting technology.  DimDim looks interesting and I
want to look into it when I have more time. Even if we don't do
a LIVE broadcast, it may offer an easy way to record and archive
meetings for anytime download or web delivery.

My own thinking is that the LIVE aspect isn't nearly so useful
or important as a web accessible recording.  I'm in the process
of packaging my DV video recording of last months IPv6 talk, but
presenting a _readable_ view of the slides in the limited, low res
PIXEO boxes of web media delivery options requires time consuming
editing. Maintaining any readable quality in the PIXEO delivery
is even more challenging when you are also fighting the file size
bandwidth of long format programs (80 to 110 min. in the case
of an ALE meeting).

All that's really needed to effectively deliver most presentation
material is a sequence of static screen shots occasionally changing
in sync to an audio track, just like the old "film strips" we used
to get in school (the grey beards should know what I'm talking
about [BEEP], but maybe not the younger folks. [BEEP]).  Delivering
something like this would be an extremely low bandwidth issue,
and having static screens or slides instead of a video stream would
allow for the data to be delivered in their full, fully readable
resolution.

If anybody knows of anything that works like this AND can deliver
the end result "Film Strip" through a web browser or other fully
cross platform software mechanism, then please share! (Or maybe
this isn't such a great approach, so nobody else has pursued it?
maybe it's too simple and obvious?)

I've looked extensively for a solution here and haven't had much
success. Everything seems focussed on LIVE and PIXEO delivery,
with all the associated wasted bandwidth and miserable quality.
I've pretty much resigned that I'm going to have to create this
myself if I want it to happen, but it may be a blue moon before
I find time. Also, my programming skills and interests would
lead me to do this in Python / WxPython as a cross platform
solution, but it would probably be a lot more useful and system
compatible if the delivery could be browser based.

feedback welcome...

peace
aaron

    but
I have yet to find a tool that will let me record this way.