[ale] Can't use public IP on local network

David M Lemcoe Jr. forum at lemcoe.com
Tue Apr 14 07:44:12 EDT 2009

Kenneth Ratliff wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> > I see that you mention VirtualHosts. The weakness here is that each
> > "machine" [interface/IP] can only be known by one name. Therefore,
> > this does not help you with "name based virtual hosts" (VirtualHost
> > *:80; ServerName myhost.mydomain) if you have multiple ServerNames
> > that you would like to go to a single IP.
>
> Sure you can, just need a NameVirtualHost directive, unless I'm
> totally misunderstanding you. But I can have apache answer for 30
> different domains if I want, all on the same IP.
You may be misunderstanding. I have about 10 domains that I have
VirtualHosts for, and they work just fine. But apparently, because I use
NAT, when my laptop (right there on the same router) goes to one of
those, the router doesn't like it. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't know if
a NameVirtualHost would work, but I may be wrong.