[ale] Over 2x More Asus Linux Netbooks Now Being Bought Than XP on Amazon

dhhoward at comcast.net dhhoward at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 12:28:53 EDT 2009

To: dhhoward at comcast.net, "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
Subject: Re: [ale] Over 2x More Asus Linux Netbooks Now Being Bought Than XP on Amazon

>I just bought a bunch (12) of Asus Eee Top units that came only with winxp and wiped that for eeebuntu.
Dang things are fast and responsive under Linux. Just because they came with microsoft on them doesn't mean they stay
that way!

Roger that, even for the one's shipped with Xandros Linux: Over the summer I'm planning to wipe Xandros off of her Asus Eee 901 and put eeebuntu on it as well, some of the repository issues on Xandros have been bothersome and Asus is not going out of their way to fix them.

FYI, my daughter managed to crack the screen on her Eee PC a few weeks ago (she had it in her bookbag w/o the protective case around it, towards the top, and another kid dropped a really heavy backback on top of it from 4 ft!). Found this site to replace the screen and it was a complete piece of cake, less than an hour (not like when she had the Mac iBook...):

www.screencountry.com
Asus Eee PC 901 replacement screen: $74.99, with shipping: $89.19